1.09.2013

OUaT Journal: My story - Part II

Previously posted was the first part of my story, Cold-Blooded Companion. This is the second entry written by another member of swap-bot. I included with my journal a note explaining that my intentions for the story was to have the lizard revealed as a vampire. I think she did a good job and keeping with the mystery of the animal.

    "(But I...) I still have questions?! I don't... is there food in there?" I asked, still feeling bewildered. What type of shop owner doesn't really explain how to care for a pet beyond thrusting a pamphlet at you stressing the difference between day and night bulbs before nearly shoving you out the door?!

    "You'll be fine. Everything you need and need to know is right here," the owner replied, gesturing at the bag she held, a strained smile on her face again.

    I glanced at her for a long second before half-nodding, trying not to scowl. I don't normally scowl at people, but ever since I picked up the tank... I don't know, I'd begun to feel odd... on edge. I stepped past her, headed for my car and sat the tank on the top of the car before I headed back to her to get my bag. She handed it to me, strained smile still on her face. Her bracelets jangled as she moved, her voice fierce as she stepped back into her shop.

    "Remember - no longer than 9 hours. Ever."

    I glanced at her once more, half-nodding. Obviously the times to use the bulbs is pretty strict, so I'd better commit the instructions to memory.

    Once I reached my car again, I carefully opened the passenger's side door, trying not to jostle the tank. I didn't know much about bearded dragons but figured jostling them around was probably not for the best. The lizard never moved, however I suppose "Luna" is a heavy sleeper. I sat the bag of supplies on the floorboard and then carefully picked up the tank and sat it on the front seat. I stared at the tank for a moment, then reached for the seat belt and pulled it across the tank.

    OK, I felt a bit... well, more than a bit... ridiculous "belting" the reptile in, but... well... I didn't want the tank to fall off the seat...

    Shaking my head, I straightened and slammed the door. Walking around the car, I paused when I reached my door and glanced back at the pet shop. I think the owner was standing by the door but she moved as I glanced in the direction, the neon "open" sign flickering off. I frowned as I got in my car and buckled myself in before starting the car.

    It wasn't until I was pulling out of the parking lot that I realized the shop owner never charged me for the lizard or any of the supplies. Knowing what I know now... it must have been a sign.

    After getting groceries, I headed home and settled Luna into her new home and tossed some crickets into her tank. She slept through it all until I fed her. I don't know... maybe she smelled the crickets or whatever, but she rather lathargically wandered out from under her little rock/cave and eyed me for a moment before pursuing her dinner. It was a weird interaction. To be honest, because I swear it was almost like staring into the eyes of another human and the dragon sort of snorted disdainfully before slithering off. Like I said... bizarre.

    I read the brochure - it was a brief read, before putting the supplies away, along with my groceries before settling in for the night with a book about pixies or something from the library. Luna finished her dinner and slithered back under her rock - I guess to sleep again... bearded dragons must sleep a lot. Since I heard no more noise over from her corner, I sort of forgot about her until I decided to head for bed - I had to get up early to go pick up some things from my mom in the morning. I turned on the night light and set the timer for 7 hours and went to get my own sleep for the night.

    I overslept that next morning and cursed as I flew out of bed, already an hour late to begin my trek to my mom's. I threw another handful of crickets into Luna's tank before leaving, making sure that the day lamp had switched on, which it had. I broke multiple speed limits going to my mom's who told me not to freak out - it's not like she's a job or anything, and the rest of the day was spent getting the rest of my possessions from home. I had this nagging suspicion I'd forgotten something this morning, but couldn't remember what. I mentioned it to my mom who told me not to worry, it must not be important if I can't remember. My mom is like that - not up tight like me.

    I tried to banish it from my mind, but promptly remembered what it was about 15 minutes into my drive back to my apartment - I'd forgotten to set the timer for the day bulb and it was now going on hour 10 of the day light being on. Swearing again, I broke the speed limit going home too... running a few red lights too I think. I kept muttering this sort of mantra to myself on my way home... that 1 hour doesn't matter, but in the back of my mind, I knew it did.

    I had barely put the car in park in the parking garage at the apartment before I vacated the car, running through the garage and up the 3 flights of stairs to my apartment. If my neighbors had seen, they'd thought I was nuts. It took forever to get my door open, and I was huffing and wheezing when I opened it and glanced inside. Heading for the corner with Luna's cage, I noticed the top was snapped off the cage and I saw Luna nowhere. I started moving the supplies aside looking for her and was startled half out of my mind when a deep male voice spoke up behind me.

    "If you're looking for me... ah, "Luna"... over there, you're wasting your time."

    Whirling around, my jaw dropped as I took in the man sitting behind me - in my favorite chair, no less - in my tiny living room.

    "Wha... huh... who the heck are you? How'd you get in here?!" I screached as he smirked.

    "Who do you think I am?" He snarked off. I hate snarky guys.

    "I...

Just as I made an effort to not place a gender on the main character, neither did this entry and I'm glad it was picked up on. The next entry will be posted soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
♥(Blogger Design by Sweetie Memoirs. Artwork by Descry.)♥