12.21.2012

Rory's Story Cubes - Attempt 1 and 2

I joined a creative writing swap on Swap-Bot.com and decided it was a good time to use the story cubes I had just bought. The first story was made by rolling the story cubes one at a time after one was rolled, I wrote a little story, another roll, more story, etc. This made my story pretty boring so I did another story and rolled them all at the same time so I could view all the pictures (kept them in the same order) and figure out a story line before writing. Here are my two stories in that order:

ONE BY ONE story cube result:
Cluster of arrows all pointing outward in a circular shape, Tree, letter L in a box, Lightening bolt, Globe, Face with Z's coming out of it, Hand, Teepee, Bee
The ferris wheel hadn't moved an inch in over 10 years but it still stirred memories within me. I've come to the conclusion that it's the main reason I still live in this apartment despite falling value and decline in community report and quality neighbors. One yank of my balcony curtain could compare to a glass of Brandy after a hard days work - especially under the star studded night sky.

I stood near the entrance of the boarded-up boardwalk and admired the massive construct. Unlike many things that seemed lesser as an adult when you sifted through childhood memories, the ferris wheel seemed bigger. I had realized the reason for this after a few visits upon my return; shrubbery had grown wild, free and high at the base of the wheel creating the illusion of Godzilla among puny buildings.

Once known as the Wonder Wheel, locals now refer to it as the Lonely Coney. I visit a few times a week to keep it company, but today was the first time in almost two weeks because of the recent cluster of thunderstorms. And even though the cold weather brings pain to my joints, the lightening behind the wheel, lighting each spoke, is a thing of beauty. I enjoyed the show from behind the glass on my balcony, wrapped in layers with a cup of cocoa.

I sat on a nearby bench after clearing the fallen leaves. I remember the insane amount of energy I exerted in my youth. I also saw it in other children but there aren't many around here too often. I am thankful I had the opportunity to travel the globe in my lifetime, always wanting to see more. And here I sit near a deteriorating dock, wanting to be nowhere else.

A loud chime rang up the streets; the leaves rustled and dogs barked from a distance. I jerked awake, not even realizing I'd dozed off. The sun was slowly taking a dip in the cold, flat reflection of the sky. I slowly rose to my feet and made my way to my apartment with the help of my cane.

The streets were full of more trash than people and that was typical. I stood at the crosswalk waiting for the red hand to allow me to cross. The short walk had reminded my body that it was cold out and that joint pain was an appropriate response. I gripped my cane and slowly made my way across the street and to my apartment.

I turned on the heater, put the kettle on and went to my favorite chair. I slowly sunk in and reached for my pipe and tobacco. In the past I would not have smoked out of it, let alone have it out in the open, believing it was worth money. I was materialistic. Thankfully that curse was broken by the same Shaman who gifted this pipe to me. I will always be grateful to him for setting me free and promised myself that if I don't return as a Ferris Wheel, a spoke or even a shrub nearby, I would try to help others cursed as I once was.

Only a few puffs in and the kettle called. I made my way to it, grabbed a mug, spoon, tea bag, sugar and of course honey. I prepared my tea as my children may have a few years ago, as their children may have learned from me but I prefer not to dwell, merely reminisce.

Snoozefest. So here's the other story:

ALL AT ONCE story cube results:
Theatre 'smile now, cry later' faces, Cloud and rainbow, Letter L in a box, Globe, Lightbulb, One die, Abacus, Cane, Key
Pruit Valley Charter High School had sent in their request to claim Wizard of Oz for their end of the year production to arrive at 8 a.m. the first day of registration. I was born to play Dorothy, "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" being the first song I belted out at age 2. I suggested to our theatre department head that this was an ideal production for our - and by 'our' I really meant 'my' - final performance. The majority of our theatre troop were graduating this June.

Unfortunately, I do not attend Pruit Valley Charter. My parents seem to believe that the superior education that can be gained at the minimally more expensive Pruit is not worthy of their only daughter. Mr. Dotree also seems to have it out for me since he "forgot" year end production registration was this past Monday - four days ago - despite my frequent reminders and comments on 'how wonderful our production will be.' And then he tacks on "I'll have it sent off first class immediately," as if salting my wounds. What is the point of that?! Pruit has already won. He should just give me the first class envelope so I can send off my transfer papers!

Trudy calmed me down before second period.

"Look on the bright side; Chet had a good chunk of Theatre high on his experimental idea to produce 'Tetris - The Musical.' Just thank the stars that he was sick when we voted."

I sighed heavy as I sunk behind my desk.

"You're right, my final performance could have been disastrous. I'm just upset that we lost our leading musical and so the second on our list is 'The Fall to Earth.' I'll give it to Joel, it was a smart move to choose it since no other school's are likely to. Maybe I can convince him to change one monologue into a solo?"

The classroom was filling up with students and other mumbled conversations. Trudy raised her right eyebrow and puffed her lips out; Unlikely is what it meant.

"It's a gamble," is what she said.

Mrs. Stoddard entered the room, the chatter petered out and math class began.

The rest of the day was uneventful for the most part. I continued to discuss the horrible mistake that could have been avoided, but  by the end of the day I had finally taken it all in and mentally threw my hands up to claim 'what's done is done.'

When auditions had come around I performed my rendition of Gretta's monologue which included some 'sing for talk.' If that hadn't been what sealed the deal then my costume did. Gretta was the eldest character, roughly in her 60s, so I had borrowed clothes and a can from Nanny's room.

While I landed the role, I was less successful in convincing the board to allow a musical number. I did my best to perfect Grett'as monologue as I felt it was the key turning point in our production.

Come opening night, my monologue had received a standing ovation and, try and I might, one tear managed to squeeze its way past my lashes and down my cheek.

This was my 'Over the Rainbow.'

I've come to realize I really like writing in first person (it makes sense that it comes easiest) and need to try and put more effort into creating stories from other points of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
♥(Blogger Design by Sweetie Memoirs. Artwork by Descry.)♥